ABC WORLD NEWS TONIGHT INTERVIEW ON TITANIC

Friday, November 14, 2014

Chapter 19 Real Santa (40 Days Unitl Christmas)

PARK RIDGE WAS festive with Christmas trees and wreaths

in store windows and people dashing here and there as the elevated

rambled overhead. George was to meet Jeremy and Jamie for their

annual Christmas dinner before his ex-wife took them to Florida on

Christmas day. Every year George would suggest they spend Christmas

with his family, and every year they declined, citing early flights

and logistics and their mother’s intransigence against anything concerning

George.

So it had all come down to a Christmas dinner with his two

children at Winterbeans. George walked into the dim light and was

greeted by the hostess, who said his kids were waiting for him at a

table. His former town had the small town quality of people actually

knowing you. George could still walk in, and the bartender would

bring him his ice tea and chopped salad while he caught up on the

local papers. It was really what George had craved. A nestled home

in a community of people who knew your name and cared that you

existed. So why in the hell did he move out to the country?

George couldn’t quite answer that except to say he wanted a fresh

start with Mary. Shortly after Megan was born they had decided Mary’s

condominium was too small, and George drove out and saw the rambling

white farmhouse and a life among the cornfields of his new family.

An American Gothic existence appealed to him, and the bonus was the



bridge project over the nearby river was a three-year gig.

Then of course the economy tanked, and George’s house along

with everyone else’s lost forty percent in value. Not that he was considering

moving back, but it was strange to not even have that option.

And now his former life was staring him in the face with the twin
 
eyes of filial accusation. You always worked. You were never there for




us. You and mom always fought. You left. Mom left. You left us in that

shitty house with no money.
 
 
“Hey, guys,” he said gingerly, sliding into the booth.

Neither texting head rose from their collective laps. George pulled

off his coat and scarf and watched his son and daughter stare down

under the table. He noticed his daughter’s hair was flaming red with

one side shorn up like the old group A Flock of Seagulls. His son

looked like a mountain man with shaggy hair down to his shoulders

and a beard approaching a Civil War general.

“And what can I get you to drink?”

George looked up at the pretty waitress.

“I’ll take a Boddington … kids?”

“Miller,” came from his son.

“Same,” came from his daughter.

George held his hand up to the waitress.

“Ah, Jamie, I think you are a little young to be drinking beer.”

She shook her head and rolled her eyes.

“Whatever, Dad. I drink all the time.”

George laughed and winked at the blonde twentysomething.

“How about a Coke?”

“Fine,” Jamie grumbled.

George nodded. “A Miller and a Coke then.”

She left, and George looked at his kids. Jamie laughed at something

on the screen, and George noticed several more studs on her

right eyebrow along with freshly minted tattoos rolling up both arms.
 
Goth. Biker chick. It was strange to think of his own daughter with



her ripped black fishnet shirt hiding a black lacy bra in terms of one

of those Goth girls he had seen at Depeche Mode concerts.

“So … how is school, Jamie?”

“It blows,” she muttered.

“Well, there must be some classes you like in your senior year.”

“It all sucks dick.”
 
George stroked his beard and turned to Jeremy.

“So, son … how is college?”

“Same. It sucks,” he murmured, fast-action thumbs not slowing.

George sighed and leaned in.

“Hey, guys, this is our Christmas dinner. Why don’t we put the

phones away?”

Jamie looked up at him as if he had just hit her.

“You make me come down to this lame dinner, and now I can’t

even use my phone. I’m seventeen you know, Dad!”

“I know, I know. I just thought we could … talk while we are in

our company.”

“Talking is so lame,” Jamie muttered, but she shut down her phone.

Jeremy put his phone in his coat and stared at his father.
 
“So how is everything out in Bedford Falls?”



George watched the drinks come.

“Just a wonderful life,” he murmured.

Jeremy drank his Miller and frowned.

“I’ll bet … after you leave us in the shithole.”

George put down his beer.

“You have a nice house.”

“Not as nice as the one you live in,” Jamie sneered, sulking with

her Coke.
 
“We don’t live in a mansion, Dad. We live in the shithole you left



Mom in.”

George held his beer between his hands.

“I didn’t leave your mother. She left me. Remember, guys?”

“That’s not what she said,” Jamie muttered.

George didn’t want to go down this path because it only led to
 
Dad is an asshole. He picked up the menu and tried to steer away



from the village of filial discontent.

“So, what are we going to have?”

“I’m not hungry,” Jeremy growled.

“Me neither.”

George looked over his menu at his two sulking kids.

“C’mon, guys, it’s on me.”

“Yeah, it’s the only thing we get out of you,” Jamie said, scowling.

“Now that’s not true—”
 
“I want a new car, Dad,” she declared.

“Talk to your mother.”

“That’s what you always say, but you don’t pay her anything!”

George put down the menu.

“That’s not true, Jamie. I have paid your mother on time every

month, but she blows it on vacations.”

“Bullshit!”

George stared at the two hot eyes of sooty mascara.

“You left her without a penny,” she cried out. “And now everybody

has cars, and I have to drive that old shitty station wagon you
 
left Mom with while you moved out to your estate with your perfect



daughter and perfect wife and left us to rot here!”

George breathed wearily. “I don’t have a perfect daughter or perfect

wife,” he said quietly.
 
Oh, really? Megan is so smart. Megan is so sweet. Megan is so



cute,” his daughter mimicked in a high-pitched screech. She jammed

her finger in her mouth. “It makes me want to barf!”

“I never treated you any different than I treat her, Jamie.”

“Yeah … Right.”

Jeremy raised his beer.

“I think Jamie’s got a point, Dad. I mean, what’s this Santa you’re

going to be or whatever?”

George stared at his son.

“Who told you?”

“Mary did. I called her, and she said you were out seeing some
 
guy about reindeer. Reindeer, Dad? You never got us reindeer.”



“Yeah,” Jamie sobbed. “You never got us any reindeer!”

George paused then leaned forward on his elbows.

“Megan is at the age where she is beginning to question Santa …

so I decided I would be Santa for her.”

Jeremy squinted. “But you are getting real reindeer?”

“Well, yes. You see, she wants to videotape Santa, so I’m going to

have the reindeer and a sled and I’ll be in it on the roof—”

“Wait a minute.” Jeremy sat up in his army jacket and stared at

him. “You mean you’re going to put reindeer on the roof for your kid?”

“Yes—”

His son slammed back against the booth. “Great! What … are
 
you going down the chimney too?”

George paused. “Yes.”
 
“Dad …” Jamie’s face resembled prison bars with her inky tears.

You never went down the chimney for us!”



Jeremy shook his head.

“Yeah, I mean, what the hell, Dad? What’s this costing you?”

“Well, the reindeer are hefty but the digital projectors are really

setting me back.”

“WHAT?!” His son glared at him and slammed his beer down.

“Digital projectors?!”

“Ah … yes, to project on smoke the image of Santa acceding to

the roof,” George mumbled, not feeling good about any of this.

“You never used digital projectors for us,” Jamie wailed. His

daughter was now crying profusely.

Jeremy shook his head and looked at his father.

“You told me when I was nine that Santa would spontaneously

combust from the g-load. Do you remember that, Dad, when I asked

you if Santa was real?”

“Yes, and I regret it, son.”
“You never even told me about Santa,” Jamie wailed, wiping black

mascara on her napkins.

“But for your new daughter you’re going to recreate Santa Claus.”

Jeremy leaned into the table. ”Do you see, Dad, why we might be a

little pissed about that?”

George nodded slowly. “Yes … but I never meant to favor one

child over another.”

“Well, you are, Dad, you are.”

“You are giving her a Real Santa, and you won’t even give me a

car,” Jamie screamed, standing outside the booth suddenly. “I hate
you! I hate you! You’re a … dickhead, Dad!”

George realized then the entire restaurant had paused to watch
his daughter call him a dickhead dad. He spoke out of the side of his

mouth. “Jamie, sit down!”

The Goth woman with mascara flowing would not stop.
“YOU WONT EVEN GIVE ME A CAR! YOU’RE A DICKHEAD!”
Then she stormed out the door, passing patrons—a heavyset,

ink-stained Goth woman, pierced and tattooed in seventeen-year-old
 
angst. The restaurant stared collectively at the man who wouldn’t
even give his daughter a car. Scrooge. Dickhead!

“Well that didn’t go well,” he muttered.

Jeremy shrugged. “You can’t blame Jamie, Dad. She was only eight

when you left. Mom told her in Florida there was no Santa while she

was with that Guido guy on the beach. It really sucked.”

“That’s just terrible.”

“Yeah, I already knew … but it pretty much blew.”

George sat back down and stared at his son.

“I wish there was something I could do for you guys.”

“I can’t help you there, Dad. You blowing all this money on your

new family kind of speaks for itself.” Jeremy frowned. “I heard you

lost your job.”

“Yes, I did.”

“That’s got to kind of suck, but it doesn’t seem like it’s slowing

you down.”

The waitress appeared.

“Are you ready to order?”

“Give us a few minutes.”

She left, and George stared at the laminated tabletop. He paused.

“You’re right. I was a bad father in some respects.”

“Oh, yeah,” Jeremy said into his beer.

“But … I always wanted you and Jamie to have the best too.”

“Really? That why you worked all the time?”

“Partly. Partly because I was building a career.”

“Well, good luck with that.”

“Look,” George leaned in. “Why don’t you come out on Christmas

Eve and help me?”

Jeremy frowned. “I don’t get it.”

“Come out and help me be Santa. You can be my helper. You and

Jamie. It’s not the same as being Santa for you, but you could be in

the sled with me as Santa’s helpers.”

Jeremy finished his beer.

“I don’t think so, Dad. You know we go to Florida that morning.”

“I know, I know. Just think about it. It’s something we could all

do together one last time. Maybe I can give you back some of the

magic that we lost.”
 
Jeremy put his empty bottle on the table and stood up. He zipped

up his army coat and looked down at his father.

“I know Santa’s not real, Dad. Some asshole told me he spontaneously

combusted from the g-load on reentry.”

Real Santa...Starred Review Booklist
 
 

Books by William Hazelgrove